Licensed TextAloud 3 (and demo 4) no longer functioning (Windows 10)

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

peladon

Licensed TextAloud 3 (and demo 4) no longer functioning (Windows 10)

Post by peladon »

I wonder if anyone else has seen anything similar? It's been a while since I used TA, but recently I had a use case and fired it up. Or rather - I didn't. Because it never actually opens. Investigating, I can see it starting a process, and that process isn't terminating. In fact, every time I repeat firing it up, if I don't close any open TA processes it happily starts a new one. But the menu never opens and the application is never available.
I've tried removing and re-installing TA3, with no change in behaviour. I've tried installing TA 4 in demo mode, and it does exactly the same thing. So far I've been unable to proceed any further.
I know there have been Windows 10 patches since Ilast used it, but I can;t really recall how many or which ones. I did send a tech support note in, but no reply as yet. So I figured i'd come here and ask if anyone else has seen anything similar (blush).
Jim Bretti

Re: Licensed TextAloud 3 (and demo 4) no longer functioning (Windows 10)

Post by Jim Bretti »

Not sure what this could be. If you haven't tried rebooting your system that is probably worth a try. Next please check the shortcut you are using to launch TextAloud and make sure no Compatibility settings are turned on. So right the menu entry or icon you use to launch TextAloud, and in the popup displayed click "Properties". On the Properties tab, click Compatibility. If any settings are set on the Compatibility panel, uncheck them and see if that makes a difference.

If that doesn't help we can look to see if either version of TextAloud is writing log files. Open Windows File Explorer, and to find the TextAloud 4 log files, copy / paste the following into the address bar at the top:

%userprofile%\appdata\local\nextup\TextAloud4

Look in this directory for files named TextAloudMP3.dbg, TextAloudMP31.dbg, TextAloudMP32.dbg and TextAloudMP33.dbg. Zip these log files up, then do the same for the TextAloud 3 log files. The logs are stored here:

%userprofile%\appdata\local\nextup\TextAloud

Zip up any logs you find in this directory. Then attach the two zip files to an email and send to me at jim@nextup.com.

If you don't see any log files, just send me an email letting me know and we'll debug this via email.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
peladon

Re: Licensed TextAloud 3 (and demo 4) no longer functioning (Windows 10)

Post by peladon »

Jim
My thanks indeed for the response :-). I took a last stab, removed TA3 and this time also removed the Salli voice I'd purchased. Reinstalled TA3 and Salli, and all was well.